When you buy a home the steps to a successful purchase are very important, Below I have organized 10 steps to achieving your desired result as stressfree as possible. Have a look and then feel free to call me with any questions.
1. Know What You Need And Be Ready Before You Start Shopping. Decide what your wants and needs are. Make a list of what your home will include. Perhaps you want 4 bedrooms, a pool and a back yard facing south for all the summer sun, or a view or wood burning fireplace are important to you. Urban, sub-urban or rural? List your "needs" along with your "desires." This way, we both have a clear understanding and when we start looking for your home I have good idea of what you will like.
2. Don't Shop Without A Pre-Approved Mortgage. Get pre-approved, this speeds up your qualifying stageand tells you how much the bank will lend you. This is very useful if you are in a bidding war with buyers who are not pre-approved. Make sure! you get a firm commitment in writing from your bank .
3. Choose a Realtor That Is right For You. I am a licensed professional and can help you with all the information on properties that might suit you. I have knowledge and experience that comes from helping different types of buyers and sellers. As well as experience in negotiation.
4. Let's Go Tour! Now that you've given me your dream list I can utilize all the tools available to me as a Real estate advisor to hunt for that perfect home. We may see something right away but it may also take a while to find the right place. Be patient- you need to know that your home is out there and I will help you find it.
5. Lets List Your Home! List your current home. Not too many people can hold on to 2 homes, so lets sell the home you are in now. You can purchase a home with long closing dates to enable you try and sell your house or You can sell your house with long closing dates to enable you to find a new home. We can also make your offer conditional on the sale of your existing home, or Your home sale can be conditional on you finding an alternate within a given amount of time. This is all dependant on your risk tolerance.
6. The Comparative Market Evaluation. Once we find a home that suits your dream list, I will do a complimentary & detailed Comparative Market Evaluation. This is a list of active, sold and expired homes in order to determine whether the seller is asking a reasonable price in today's market. I would be doing the same when I was recomending a price to sell your house.
7. You Have An Offer. Great! You've found a home that you want to make yours, congratulations. I will write the offer on the Contract of Purchase and Sale, take it to the listing agent or seller and I will negotiate on your behalf to get the best price. You will need a bank draft deposit and an idea of what date you'd like this house to be yours.
8. The Contract of Purchase & Sale. I will have clauses/conditions inserted which are important to you- for example completion dates, inspection reports, your financial institution will want to appraise the home before they lend money. Once you've agreed to the terms and conditions you must fulfill the obligations and remove the subjects. The home becomes yours at this point.
9. Find A Lawyer. You need to find a lawyer to do your conveyance, it's where they transfer the title of the property to your name. Ask them how they structure their fees and get an estimate of all other costs you can expect.
10. Get Ready To Move! You move into your property at 12 noon on the possession date, Have all your utilities and home insurance transferred-generally you will want home insurance to overlap with the seller so not a moment is left uninsured.
Move In! Congratulations.
If you're thinking of selling your home, before you become overwhelmed at the task here are 9 steps to get you on track
1. Determine When You Would Like To Sell. Motivation plays a critical factor in determining what course of action you need to take. Spring is typically a faster paced season to sell and winter tends to be a little slower. Regardless, there are always people looking to buy and seasons are only one factor to consider.
2. Find an Agent Who Is Right For You.Think locally (as they will know your area) Market Globally. Don't be afraid to ask questions, interview the candidates. A good Agent will know the market well, supply you with information on past sales, current listings and his/her references form previous clients. They should also provide a solid marketing plan . Bottom line, you should be working with someone you feel comfortable with and can trust. But also someone who can be ruthless in fighting for your best interests. Like a Pitbull in sheeps clothing : )
3. Sign A Listing Agreement With me. It authorizes me and our brokerage to market and sell your home. The agreement serves 3 purposes. a) It defines our relationship in every detail and states the limits of your Agents authority. b) It provides detailed information on the home which can be posted on the boards Multiple Listing Service. c) It forms a basis for drafting offers on your home. Formal offers start with the Listing Agreement.
4. Set Your Price.You want to attract buyers, the right asking price will attract alot of interested buyers. I will do a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) of the homes recently sold, active and expired in your area and we will set the price together. There are diferent pricing stratagies and I will discuss them with you and we can work on which one you are most comfortable pursuing.
5. Find A Lawyer.You need to find a lawyer to do your conveyance, it's where they transfer the title of the property to your name. Ask them how they structure their fees and get an estimate of all other costs you can expect. This is also a good time to look at your existing mortgage, Talk to your lender- is your mortgage assumable? portable? will you pay a penalty if you pay it off when you sell?
6. Prepare Your Home For Viewing. Clean your house from top to bottom. Remove all clutter and start packing. Staging your house for sale starts with removing all those piles of paperwork and " stuff".Repair minor deficiences and spruce it up. It's the little things you can do to attract an offer.
7. Let us Market Your Home,this is my expertise and this is where I can be of most benefit to you and your success. I will market in print media, Multiple Listing service, through my website, through open houses and peer networking
8. Offers! Let's Look At Offers. will walk you through the process, you will see every offer. There may be some conditions you may want to change, we will discuss each and every detail. This is one of the most important tasks and reasons you have hired me, the negotiation skills. Don't be offended if an offer is well below the asking price. Instead, evaluate it for what it's worth and counter back. Successful negotiation is a skill and because it's a highly emotional time , having a person inbetween the seller and buyer strips away the emotion and we get down to business.
9. Close The Deal! Excellent, negotiations are successful and we have time for the most vital steps now. A) Contact your lawyer and let them know an Agreement has been signed. B) Immediately begin satisfying any conditions that require your actions to complete C) Notify the lawyer and lending institution if the buyer is assuming your mortgage D) Contact utilities, telephone and cable companies about transfer or removal of service E) Call insurance agent and arrange cancellation or transfer of your homeowners insurance F) Call a moving company G) Send out change of address cards including Ministry of Transportation for your BCDL etc. H) Notify me immediately if there are any changes to your property or situation.
Congratulations!!! You have sold your house! and I am happy to have been of service